Do You Want an iPad?

This whole iPad thing baffles me. I guess I don’t get the point of the product. You take the iPhone which had some pretty big limitations and you make it bigger. Same limitations just a bigger screen. With the exception of Flash support I see things improving in future iterations of both the iPhone and the iPad which brings me to my thought for today. What does it cost you to be an early adopter?

There are people out there who have to have the latest and greatest tech gadget/gizmo. It never ceases to amaze me how the Apple faithful line up to get at whatever hot thing they have rolling out. Yes, I own an iPhone. I own a 3Gs one though. I didn’t get the first one, or the second one, I waited until it started to get really interesting and personally I kind of regret it. I like what Android has been able to accomplish and the less strict policy on app development. But I digress. When you are an early adopter it costs you more than just what you paid for the product. Lets look at the benefits of waiting to make that next gadget purchase

1. No matter how good a testing group a company gets together there is always going to be unanticipated glitches, bugs, and security holes. It is impossible to anticipate all of the uses a product will get when put in the hands of the idiot consumer (myself included). These bugs tend to work themselves out in the first couple of months to 1 year of a product being on the market. Holding off a bit can save you the frustration of dealing with those glitches. Let someone else deal with it.
  2. The feature set of a 1st gen product is never what the company really wanted to put out to the market. It is what they were able to get together by the 3rd drop dead date. Other stuff doesn’t get cut it just gets rolled into the next development cycle. Just look at the features of an iPhone 3Gs versus the original iPhone. By picking it up early on you could be missing out on some great advantages that you will have to replace the product to get later on.
  3. The cost of a first generation product is almost always higher than the costs of subsequent generations of the product. As the product matures the company will fine tune the production process and suppliers they use to reduce their costs of creating the product. This process is happening all the time so their profit on the sales of the products grows. When the next generation comes out they can reduce the price or increase the value (increased storage capacity, processing, etc.) at the same price point. Buying early your are paying more for less, most of the time.

I am not trying to say anyone is crazy for getting an iPad, it looks neat, I just don’t see the benefit in being an early adopter of most anything. I am not the only one either, I think. Are you an early adopter? I would love to know why.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Mrs. Micah March 24, 2010 at 9:20 am

I’d rather get the iPad Nano–or iTouch. 🙂 It seems like the iPad itself is meant to fill a void that no one needs filled–not techy enough for techy people and overkill for ordinary folks. We’ll see how it goes though.

2 Aaron @ Clarifinancial March 24, 2010 at 9:23 am

Of course I want an iPad… to sell on Amazon.

It’s like an ereader and a netbook smashed together, which is a cool idea, but you could get both for the same money with more computing power, flexibility, and ability to produce work quicker. You’re right, in the future this will work better.

Or if you think of it as a big iPod Touch with a little more battery life, I’d rather save a ton of money and increase my portability. Usually you don’t have to pay a premium to decrease your portability.

3 TheDebtHawk.com March 24, 2010 at 10:54 am

I think the iPad kills the netbook market. I think that it will be a great device for consuming content – movies, video clips, ebooks, blog posts. I think that despite not having a keyboard, it will be just as easy as a netbook to create content. But, content creation is not the reason to buy it. It is a content consumption device.

Having said all that, I absolutely agree with you about not running out and buying the first generation ipad. I want to see the roadmap for this device before I buy it.
    .-= TheDebtHawk.com´s last blog ..Debt Settlement Company Guide =-.

4 RainyDaySaver March 24, 2010 at 4:03 pm

If anything, I’m a ‘late adopter’ — I like to see how products work for others before buying into them myself (if at all). I’ve never had an iPhone/iTouch — just doesn’t appeal to me.
    .-= RainyDaySaver´s last blog ..Only Fools Rush In: Think Before You Buy =-.

5 moneyhoneysf March 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm

You have very good points here. It reminds me of car companies introducing new models into the market as well.

The funny thing is, my sister recently bought a iphone 3GS and she already has issues with it. I guess bugs they still haven’t fixed or is she just unlucky?

I thought about buying an iPad but will probably wait it out until a few years after they make better and improvement from this launch although it’s so tempting to just have the latest and greatest right away. =)

.-= moneyhoneysf´s last blog ..Costco Auto Program =-.

6 JoeTaxpayer March 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I was very late to the iPod, used a small brick type MP3 player for years. I have to say, I am in love with the iPod now, and I can see many, many uses for the iPad.
    The $30/mo 3G access alone is a feature, as there are too many sites that either don’t view well on my Blackberry, or can’t function as the java script won’t run. I’ll let you know when I TIP a post of yours from the iPad.
    Viewing PDF or eBooks after hours (i.e. Jane’s going to sleep, lights out, but I’ll be able to view the iPad without having a light on in the bedroom.
    That’s only the beginning.

7 Simple in France March 25, 2010 at 2:27 am

I’m late to everything I think, and sometimes I just don’t ever buy it. I think I’ll go this route with the i-phone,pad and whatever other complex doodads they come up with (unless there is some real, new technology that I actually NEED and can’t get out of my existing stuff).

I’m against the proliferation of new stuff–particularly when it’s not really that much better than the stuff we already have.

I also agree, when you buy something right after its conception, you get to pay a premium price for a limited product . . .and get all the bugs.
    .-= Simple in France´s last blog ..Personal Update: Are we finally going to settle down!?! =-.

8 The Rat March 26, 2010 at 1:57 am

I think the iPad is going to be great for people who travel a lot and who want to travel light. As you mention, I’m sure there will be glitches as the new product rolls out, but I think it will be a good product over time.

Nice post.
    .-= The Rat´s last blog ..Do You & Your Spouse Argue Over Finances? =-.

9 Ryan March 26, 2010 at 8:15 am

I got my first iPod about 6 or 7 months ago and went straight to the iPod Touch. It was well worth the wait. I’m intrigued by the e-readers and would love a Kindle or something similar, so an iPad could fill that use and then some. But I don’t *need* one. I’m not much of an early adopter, so for something like this I will wait.
    .-= Ryan´s last blog ..How To Successfully Work From Home =-.

10 AnneMarie March 27, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I’m really looking forward to getting one but as with my past experience, when new washing machines came onto the market, I always got the previous version, so that others could deal with the problems first. Shows little faith but nice to see others are the same … 🙂 and agree with point 1.

Going to be travelling a lot this year, so may have to jump in head first for convenience of travel only and hope for the best.

11 Stephen March 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Disney recently came out and said that the iPad was one of the most revolutionary products to hit the market in recent memory. I forget the exact quote, but it was something along those lines.

When the iPad first came out, I have to agree I was skeptical. But its also become increasingly hard to bet against Steve Jobs. I have Verizon right now, but I am very close to ending my contract and getting an iphone. Smartphones have become a necessity for entrepreneurs.
    .-= Stephen´s last blog ..When to Work With a Venture Capitalist =-.

12 Arjun Rudra @ InvestingThesis.com March 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I can certainly see how the iPad crushes the Kindle in terms of interface and features and this should attract a number of users who were previously reliant on the Kindle whilst reading a book in transit to and from work or school. Besides reading, the ability to watch videos and surf the internet while in transit can be also make one more productive, so i can see, businesses handing out iPads to their employees too.

However, I do agree with Kyle in that purchasing first generation Apple products is usually not the smartest thing. Besides, I think the second generation iPad will be out before the end of the year holiday season and should include a camera (if the first generation doesnt have one).
    .-= Arjun Rudra @ InvestingThesis.com´s last blog ..What is Title Insurance & How You Can Use It To Protect Your Home =-.