Is Who You Are What You Do?

Is who you are, what you do? or is what you do, who you are? The answer to that question may very well define the level of happiness you have for the rest of your life. To many people allow their jobs and careers to define the type of person they are as opposed to the inverse.

Instead of allowing your job to own you, own your job and do something that speaks to who you are inside. Not only will you be happier and healthier but the people around you will grow and learn from your satisifaction.

As you read this post prepping for your day, sitting at your desk, or getting ready for bed ask yourself if what you will do, are doing, or did today made you feel fullfilled. The choices we make in life define the person we will become. Don’t start a career just because it sounds cool, do it because you love it and have a passion for it. If what you have a passion for isn’t hiring, keep trying until they are and get a J-O-B to bide your time. A job is a source of income, your career should be your passion.

I get down on myself extremely easy. It is one of my biggest faults. I write this post thinking about how much I honestly enjoy writing for this site and how  it has become a passion I didn’t think I would ever have. Somedays I wonder if anyone is listening, other than other bloggers who are probably smarter than me anyway. Either way, it has become a passion so I will continue to crank out what I can when I can. Don’t give up on your passion just because the guy nextdoor gets twice the traffic you do having been in the game equally as long.

While this may be my shortest post ever, it may be my deepest. Tell me, did the work you did today add to your life or just your stress level?

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jason @ MyMoneyMinute October 28, 2009 at 10:33 am

“A job is a source of income, your career should by your passion.” ~ Excellent line, Kyle. I may not be where I want to be in my particular job, but I am proud of the career choice I’ve made, for better and worse!

What’s more important than the job you do, is the people you meet day in & day out, and the effect you have on their lives. Life is about relationships, not paper pushing.

2 MoneyEnergy October 28, 2009 at 5:12 pm

This is such an important topic, and soooo hard to sort out. I’m in academia right now but I don’t have it any easier. I would say that ideally the “job” IS your career and IS your passion/who you are. So that if things were ideal, then YES, “who you are is what you do.”

This is what we should all work towards. We get stuck along the way, though, and then things become confusing. Because the process works in the other direction, too, so that if we end up doing the same thing long enough it DOES start to make us who we are.

Anyone else feel that way too? I don’t have the answers, seems this one is the ultimate problem we have to keep working at.

3 Matt_SF October 28, 2009 at 5:15 pm

This is why I hate trading. There is no sense of fulfillment or sense of building anything other than the bottom line.

Days like today (down days) are when I really miss the old job more and more because there was a sense of building something or making a difference. Granted, I was only lining big pharma’s pockets with more cash, but that was still somewhat gratifying from a “seeing a project come full circle” principle.

4 Credit Card Chaser October 28, 2009 at 7:46 pm

This is why I do what I do. I detest working with clients but I love doing web/nerd stuff 🙂

5 Financial Samurai October 29, 2009 at 2:05 am

A job is just a job, until you truly start loving it. AFter that, it becomes who you are.

FS

6 kenyantykoon October 29, 2009 at 4:47 am

my work adds a lot of value to my life and to some extent gives my identity. i have been doing it for a few months and life has really become enjoyable. my passion test for work is whether it can make me get out of bed on a cold rainy morning willingly to work, without necessarily thinking about the end result-cash or a promotion. i am happy to brag that i could do this for free if i did not have any financial needs that keep a calling every so often 😀